Kitty Kat Haven believes in giving local adult cats with special needs or who are considered adoption-challenged a second chance at life. Through a safe, loving, and clean environment, we help restore the emotional and physical health of the cats under our care. By educating our community on the importance of respecting cats from all stages of life, we promote adoption and foster programs.
Kitty Kat Haven strives to provide our community with the educational tools that will allow them to be better, more aware, and more responsible cat guardians. We convey to the community that cats enrich our lives, need attention, stimulation, socialization, and steady human relationships. As well as, encourage people to consider adoption, and only adoption, which will help to keep more cats alive and out of shelters
- To give second chances to local, “adoption – challenged” adult cats and to take the time to find them the right forever homes.
- To provide temporary and permanent places of refuges through our network of foster homes, adoption partners, and cat sanctuaries. Where rescued cats can be medically treated, emotionally healed, and behaviorally observed to be given a second chance at finding they’re forever homes.
- To provide a safe and protected environment for special needs cats and those requiring additional attention.
- To provide the community with the educational tools that will allow them to be better, more aware, and more responsible cat guardians, and to consider adopting an adult cat.
- To match our “extra” special kitties with incredible foster families who are wanting to open there homes and hearts to our geriatric and terminal cats. Families who are eager to love, spoil, and cherish them for as long as they may have left.
- To help ensure that no local pet goes hungry.
“It all started as a promise I made to a very special cat before she crossed over the rainbow. Sunset was a feral kitten I found in a Washington State shelter. She helped me see that great things come to those willing to put in the work. After spending many months together, I finally gained her trust, but after that, it was Sunset who got me through some tough times. When she suddenly passed away, I promised to honor her in the best way I could – giving second chances to “special” cats. Thanks to her unconditional love, I had the vision and drive to start Kitty Kat Haven” – Valarie Filer, Founder.
- The Golden Rule: Do unto others as you would do unto you.
- Compassion: Compassion and respect for all living creatures.
- Leadership: Lead by example.
- Integrity: Committed to the observance of moral principles.
- Authenticity: Do what we say we do.
- Transparency: We are open and honest in our relationships with others.
Meet Our Founder
Valarie Filer, the oldest of 4 siblings, was born in Southern California. She moved to Washington and graduated from The Evergreen State College in 2007 with a BAS in Wildlife Ecology. During this time in her life, she adopted Sunset, a female tortoise feline. After being away from her family and moving frequently, Valarie was diagnosed with depression and anxiety. If it weren’t for her two animal companions Sunset and Denali (a Husky), living her diagnoses would have been unbearable. These two amazing and loving pets got her through the most troubling years in her life, from being a young adult to an adult. As the animal lover that she has always been, and always rescuing kittens like Sunset. It seemed like a natural choice to go into rescue work and help the type of kitties who often get overlooked. Kitty Kat Haven was born from Valarie’s vision to help build and create a permanent sanctuary for local adult cats that need extra time and attention.